9.21.2005

Right now I am thinking...

Lately I've been having some trouble with my voice. I am going hoarse very easily. It took me a week and a half to recover from First Wed/Thurs (singing at about six more services and acting as a referee at the Kickoff during that time period didn't help), and once I got my strength back, I did Groundswell. Thought I was all healed up and ready to go. But during rehearsal, I went hoarse again!!
What am I going to do if my voice goes hoarse everytime I sing? This frightens me. I had this problem long ago when I first started at the annex...then I took some vocal lessons during my last semester in college and that seemed to help. Now I'm using the info I got from the voice lessons (or at least what I can remember), but I'm having this problem again. What to do, what to do.
I would go back to that voice teacher, but I don't think she likes me anymore... (looong story. it's not because I was a bad student. really.)
It just occurs to me that if something happens to my voice, like getting nodules or something...that's pretty much it. I mean, this is what I do. This is what I love. I do other things, yes, but this is the main thing. It's scary that I could be singing wrong or doing something incorrectly now that will negatively impact my voice for the rest of my life. Same thing goes with having distortion in my in-ear monitors by accident, which may cause future hearing loss.
Perhaps I'm being paranoid?
I don't know. If anybody has some advice, please share. I will use "vocal-Eze" spray, call my voice teacher, drink more tea with honey instead of coffee...
I have to be proactive with this, I guess, which stinks for me because I'm so lazy. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should ask Dr B....she loves you and will probably know all the answers to life's questions... except in ear monitors, I don't think she swings that way.

Sarah said...

that is an excellent idea. mazel tov!