9.25.2005

If you're gonna be a cover band...

When I was in Charlotte, we went to a place called Birkdale, which is basically an even preppier version of Towne Center--if you can imagine that. It's nice. Anyway, every Friday night they have a live band playing out on this little lawn area. This particular week, a band called "Reach" was entertaining us. They were playing some good oldies like "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" and fun stuff like that. And they were tight, too! 3 guitars, a bass player, drummer, keyboards, 3 vocals and a saxophone (could have lived without the saxophone, but oh well). For an average band to have so many instruments and be as tight as they were was impressive.

However, when I finally stood still and listened, I realized they were doing something a little odd. They were on the song "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" by Stevie Wonder, but here is what they were actually singing:

"Here I am, Jesus
Signed, sealed, delivered,
I'm Yours."

And on "Give Me the Beat, Boys," they sang:

"Give me the beat, Lord, to free my soul
I want to get lost, let myself go and drift away..."

Then they said their name was "Reach" and it all became clear. The funny thing is, they were good enough that they could have just done the songs like normal and it would have been fine. I realized that if I ever had the chance to do that with the band I work with, we probably would have just done the songs like they were written. I don't know how I feel about the changed lyrics--I understand what they were about, but singing "Here I am, Jesus...signed, sealed, delivered..." just seems odd to me.

But either way, kudos to "Reach". You highly entertained me, although perhaps in ways that you did not intend.

No comments: