9.21.2011

hello, it's the unexpected calling...



It all started in April.

I went to the local retirement home to visit the mother of one of our church members. She was in the critical care unit while her son was on another continent, and she was feeling sick and lonely. I took my guitar, thinking I would find her alone in her room and be able to play some songs for her. I found her in the sunroom, however, with several other residents. I sat off to the side, trying to be discreet and to just play some mellow music while they painted.

The activities director wasn't having the whole "discreet" thing. Instead, she started wheeling more and more residents out to the porch to listen to me play and sing. I soon realized that these people hadn't heard much music in a long time, and the impact it had on them was remarkable. The melodies soothed, the words ministered, and just me being there seemed to lift their spirits. More surprisingly, though, was that the simple songs I played were meeting a need that many of them had...the need to worship God.

I found out that day that there's an entire church of people waiting to be reached, and they're right down the road. We just have to go to them.

The more hymns I played, the more they sang along with me. (Note to self: memorize the Baptist hymnal.) One gentleman, in particular, seemed dramatically affected by the music. Mr. J fixated in wonder my fingers strumming the guitar, and when I began singing a song he knew, he kind of jolted awake and sang it with me. He knew all the words. The music stirred him, but more than that, the ability to sing and worship God from his wheelchair moved him.

When I began singing, "How Great Thou Art," he broke down in tears.

Since then, I've discovered that Mr. J has Alzheimer's. Every time I see him, he seems to be retreating more and more into the fog. Certain songs will still jolt him awake, but it takes longer now than it did. Still, the music and the interaction makes a difference. I know it does.

Well, one conversation led to another visit, then another, then more people got involved, and I discovered that reaching this demographic is a passion for a lot of people in the church. So it seems that it's time to get something officially started.

These precious people need to know that they are not forgotten. They need to know that they are loved, and that they still have a purpose. I've seen what simple songs can do to communicate these truths. Can you imagine what consistent connection and relationship might do as well?

So, that all being said, we're starting a ministry at Seacoast Summerville to keep ministering to these sweet people. If this is something that stirs you up, let me know. And if it's not your passion, do pray for us. I have no idea what all this will lead to, but I do believe it's a mission field for me right now...will keep you posted. :)

(Oh, and do pray for Mr. J. He is so precious, and I know his family is suffering as they watch him decline...)

7 comments:

The Tylers said...

I'm boo hoo hooing right now..might just be my favorite outreach :) The Bible is very clear how important this group of people is & is clear about our role in helping them. Thank you Sarah & Amy for seeing this need & addressing it

http://widowsministry.org/files/ScriptureandWidows.pdf

Jeanne said...

yup, I fought some tears on that one too. Ugh. : ) I want to help in some way but what in the world would I do?

Celtic Soul said...

I will always remember the sweet sounds coming from our sitting room as you played hymns December 31, 2009. You helped usher Grandma Mitchum into the arms of the Lord, within hours of those precious songs Sarah and this family will NEVER forget how peaceful she became as the melodies made their way to her room that night. She couldn't speak or respond verbally. We weren't sure what she was even aware of but, when she heard that music she smiled and relaxed. Your ministry is, and will be, invaluable to all the Mr. and Mrs. J's (& many others) in area nursing homes. I am so proud of you for taking on a ministry that scare many.....absolutely, to death!

Tommye said...

This blesses my heart. Brings back memories of our visits to the nursing home in Virginia. What can people who don't sing or play an instrument do? Well, my experience was that just showing up causes people to light up. They start to recognize you, look for you--a familiar face, a friendly face.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so simple but so powerful!

Rocky said...

Hi Sarah,

A friend of our living in Summerville sent us this link and we read your blog, only to say we do the exact same thing here in Brisbane Australia. Instead of music my wife cuts all the old folks hair and prays for them whilst she does it. Being a hairdressers it's given her a ministry into this area where people seem to have been forgotten, even by their own families. Once again, thank you for waking up the church and steering them back to the mission field. Blessings - Rocky & Jenni from the Land Down Under.... The land of the Southern Cross.

Anonymous said...

So happy to see you are doing this.
I work for nursing homes and it's amazing how little attention these folks get from the community and their families.
Gone are the days it seems where church groups come on a regular basis or volunteers come out just to talk and sit with residents. Over the years church groups have pulled out because of the lack of volunteers. I remember even just five years ago where every weekend at least one worship family came out. Now we are lucky to get a visit near Christmas.
And these folks don't have lots of family visits....some none at all.
So thank you for giving back to this population.