9.06.2011

random recipe #1: a pumpkin breakfast

As beloved autumn approaches, I thought some of you might enjoy a fun autumn-ish breakfast idea: pumpkin oat bran! Thanks to the delightful Jessi C for the idea! This kind of thing is great because you can pretty much substitute anything for anything. Here's my version if you want to try it out:

Ingredients:
1/3 cup oat bran
1/3 cup (and a splash more of) unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup (or more) pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
one banana
one tbsp almond butter
organic honey (as much as you want)

In a small sauce pan, mix together oat bran, almond milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and a little water. I find that oat bran heats very quickly and can stick to the bottom of the pot, so I recommend heating this mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently until hot. Mix in the coconut and honey (sweeten to taste). Layer mixture with sliced banana. Top with scoop of almond butter and a little more honey.

And, as with any good breakfast, enjoy with coffee. :) Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Donald Rose said...

I am going to assume that no one has left a comment because they are out running to the grocery store to buy ingredients! Sounds amazing, and I can't wait to try it. I "heart" pumpkin...and coffee...and well, food in general! This sounds like a fun Fall recipe to look forward to annually! Thanks!