9.19.2012

for the birds.

I'm a bird nerd.

I'm drawn to things with birds on them--artwork, jewelry, etc. Birds were a theme at my wedding. It almost got to this point with me:



But it's not just because they've become very cool in our culture lately. I've become more interested in them over the past several years, especially after seeing the birds of paradise segment in "Planet Earth." I think they are one of the most fascinating species of animal that God created. I'm even at the point where I think I might enjoy bird-watching...but we'll see.

I saw one today during one of the parking-lot-walks that I often take during the day (sitting at a computer all day is the killer of creativity...and physical comfort). This little guy was sitting on top of a telephone pole, chirping at the top of his lungs for no apparent reason. I couldn't help but stop and listen to him, admiring the freedom and downright gusto with which he sang his song.

Each bird has its own song, you know. Its song is different from every other bird's song, and it's specific to breed and gender. And no bird seems afraid to sing.

I then think of the people around me. Each person has his or her own song to sing. It's different from any other person's song, and it is given them to benefit and beautify the world around them. And I do mean everyone: the cashier at Target, the guy driving like a crazy person on the interstate, the elderly woman with Alzheimer's at the assisted living facility...the person you don't like so much, the person you love...even you. Sometimes the beauty of the melody is muted by our hang-ups, but when we are finally freed up to truly sing our song, the world is changed for the better.

What's your song? What experiences do you have that need to be sung? What personality did God give you that is meant to be contributed to the chorus?

Furthermore, who can you teach to sing? Who can you harmonize with? And whose song do you need to listen to?

No comments: