3.25.2006

I am not a college student anymore...

Haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd let y'all know what I've been up to this week.

Let's start with the most recent thing. Last night, I went to see my friend Matt's band (Pawnshop Radio) play at the "Dark Room" downtown. It used to be called Bar 145, but they changed the name so it wouldn't sound so sketchy...I don't think it worked. Anyway, they didn't get done playing until 1:45am, which means I didn't get home until 2:30. I don't remember the last time I was even awake that late, let alone out driving...and I am paying for it now. It's noon, and I'm about to go back to bed. At one point, I told the people I was hanging out with that I was "living" because I was drinking a Coke at midnight. I am soooo not a college student anymore...it's kind of sad, really.

This week has been busier and a little more stressful than usual. I think it all started on Monday night, when I sang at a memorial service for Braedon McBride, the daughter of two good friends of mine. They went to the hospital on Thursday morning to deliver her, thinking everything was fine, and found out that during the previous night the umbilical cord got a knot in it and cut off Braedon's air supply. I cannot adequately describe this nightmare...but Monday night, Jim Miles and I rallied and did our first funeral together.

Now, I've sung at many funerals--probably more than weddings--but I have never had to do the whole service before. My boss, Jeanne, came and sang backup to support me--can you believe that? I have the greatest boss and mentor in the world. It was also really good that she was there because no one really knew how to do a funeral, so she ended up kind of directing the whole thing...anyway, it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in ministry. And I realized, this is my job now. This is what I signed up for, although I didn't know it at the time...this is part of the deal. I was honored to be a part of this precious baby's memorial, but man. Why did that have to happen?

So that started my week, and the rest kind of followed. And now there's a chance I may finally take the plunge and move out on my own--friends, I need some prayer here! I got some interesting confirmation of it last night (at least, that's what I think it was), and I just really need the wisdom and courage to "step out of the boat" and really trust God if this is what He's calling me to do. I think He's taking me into a new phase of growing in maturity and dependence on Him...

So, lots of things going on this week! How are you? Let's catch up sometime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been so moved by your stories, I thought I would share a tale with you. The millenium/dark room/terrace building is slated to be destroyed and replaced with condo's. The previous manager (of bar 145) was not an . . .ethical person to say the least and drove off most of the staff before being ousted. After his demise (and he took the name 145 with him), the staff reunited and out of their OWN pockets and labor transformed that den of inequity into a place they could enjoy themselves and revel in the good company of their patrons. The revamp was not payed for by a dowtown realestate mogul, or a million dollar construction firm. This was done by friends, students, waiters and bartenders who simply wanted to to take pride in themselves and where they work. It is inspiring to many, and it is sad that such effort can be easily balked at. Ironically, the equipment that allowed your friend to play was also acquired by their "sketchy" effort.

Sarah said...

wow...I did not know the history of Bar 145, but thank you for illuminating it. I did not mean any offense, by the way--it was a joke coming from a very non-informed person (myself). No harm meant, and I'm very sorry to hear about the plans to turn the whole building into condos...seriously.

Anonymous said...

hey sarah,
the last time i heard of Bar 145 was when they asked me to audition for the part of the warden in a play they were showing. i declined as i heard details about the part and figured it sounded too much like me...the unsaved me that is (ha).
thank you for honoring the memory of Braedon a few weeks ago. it was an anointed, electric evening. God showed up in a Big way. it was incredible! many people have told me they had never felt the presence of the Lord so strongly. the stage was set with the opening song, You Are Still Holy. touching and lovely. you and jeanne blessed us. brenda and i love you.